Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The end is in sight...

This past Saturday was far from relaxing, but it was great to see our friends at a big outing one last time before we're officially parents. It was Alex's 35th birthday and he, of course, chose to have his shindig at Red Robin in Foster City. I think it amusing that he comes down to visit from Vancouver, BC and chooses such a "meh" establishment, but, to each his own. Dane and I still had a good time catching up and were grateful that we could make it to the event. After many, many hours we said our goodbyes and headed over to Hillsdale Mall so I could get my induction walk on. We even got to swing by the See's Candies for free chocolate samples! Bean, when you are old enough to appreciate good chocolate, your daddy and I have already decided that we are going to somehow make those trips to See's chocolate counters special--like for every holiday or something :) We have also wondered if you're going to be a dark chocolate purist or a fruity/nutty girl...Your daddy would probably appreciate it if you were into the fruity/nutty ones because then he could hoard all the fine darks to himself and give mummy the caramels and nougats, and you, all the fruity ones. I think our little family will probably just stick to the create-your-own box instead of the assorted boxes!

On Sunday, we tried a new breakfast place called Baji's Cafe. It was ok. I got 2 pancakes, 2 eggs and Dane got a falafel omelet with hash browns and wheat toast. I don't think we'd rush back anytime soon. Originally, we had considered going to the movies or having dinner and a movie night with a couple of our close friends but they weren't doing so well so we picked up a movie from RedBox. Dane picked a winner, lemme tell you. The title was "12/12/12" and it was about a demonic newborn. It was SO corny that half the time I didn't know whether to laugh or press stop on the remote. Yeah, it was THAT bad. But, at least it was a memorable movie for our last baby-free Sunday. Let's see...we also went to the library and walked around the park imagining Bean running up the graceful little hills in the back until it opened. I passed out on the couch for a couple of hours from exhaustion while Dane caught up with family on the phone. I woke up starving so we had some labor pizza at A Slice of New York--yum!--but it, too, did nothing for starting labor :(

Yesterday felt like it went by so fast. Probably because our OB appointment was at 1:45p. I had slept in until about 9 or so and took my time getting ready for the day. I did a load of laundry and then leisurely made my way up the peninsula, stopping at Joann's Fabrics to check out their Easter clearance. There wasn't anything good left so I made way to my appointment. I don't know if Dane was nervous at all at the appointment (hard to tell when he is always staring intently at his damn smartphone) but I certainly was. Michelle, the NP, was very kind, patient and thorough. She did a cervical exam and confirmed I was still 2+ cm dialated and almost completely effaced and took her time with the ultrasound, even letting us see Bean's face! It was such a weird feeling "oohing" and "awwing" at the creepy sockets in her round little skull. The profile was much cuter and revealed that she still had Daddy's round, pointy chin, a perky little nose and big lips. The initial ultrasound found a very low amount of fluid, but then Dr. Rydfors came in and was able to find a decent amount of fluid. We also began the discussion of induction, which resulted in us setting the date for tomorrow at 8pm. We had so wished Bean would come on her own, but the pain is getting unbearable and we were reassured that inducing now or later would not make much of a difference healthwise for her. It would, however, prevent me from continuing to suffer and releasing stress hormones to her and having to increase my pain meds. While I still have the energy and am not completely broken, we thought it'd be best to labor sooner rather than later. I have voiced repeatedly during this pregnancy that the last thing I wanted was to have Bean ripped out of my body. The reasons are lengthy and besides, I'm made to squeeze her out. The longer we wait, the more likely it is she will be a cesarean baby whether it's due to low fluids, size, inability to push, etc...

I had a strange urge this morning when I couldn't go back to sleep to get a cinnabon roll and latte at Burger King. I just sat in the parking lot savoring the fact that I was free to get up and go...take my time eating and drinking...even if it was just at the BK parking lot. I felt Bean tumble around in there--pleased that mummy had decided on a sweet breakfast today. I headed home to unload some tools and a step ladder out of my car then headed to get my car washed. Afterwards, I went for a foot massage and was lucky enough to get the same guy that massaged me well last week. Sure, his hands wreak of smoke like my Dad's, but he is thorough regardless of my size at this point, so for that, he gets an "A" for effort. I heated up leftover Kale Matzo Ball soup when I got home, read a little bit and then passed out on the couch. I swear this couch is a back/hip fucker upper because Dane has been hurting too. I know he doesn't want to admit it because it is a fairly new couch, but man, I think they designed it to keep people from lounging on it for too long! Anyhow, I'm just waiting for Dane to get home now so we can call Mee Mow.

It's kinda weirding me out that this is the last night we will be home without a baby...Going to sleep early tonight to prepare for the craziness. The next time I write, I'll be a mummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment